How to Win Friends and Influence People on Facebook
The Social Media Spotlight
The Socialites Pick of the Day…
The Facebook friend economy: How to win friends and influence people on Facebook
Nielsen’s NM Incite unit has released results of a survey of 1,865 Facebook users, detailing how to win and lose friends on the social networking site, and what we spend our time doing online.
Friend Request Accepted, and here’s why:
- You know each other IRL 82%
- Mutual friends 60%
- Business networking 11%
De-friended, and here’s why:
- Offensive comments 55%
- Don’t know you that well 41%
- Trying to sell something 39%
- Depressing comments 23%
- Lack of interaction 20%
- Political comments 14%
- Break-up / Divorce 11%
Why we’re online, and what we’re doing:
- Contact with family and friends
- Following celebrities
- Product research
- Reading and providing product feedback
- Business contacts
- Job search
The survey provided no real surprises. Although, I wonder how long it will take before Facebook Friends are addressed along with assets and custody arrangements in divorce proceedings?
While the survey relates to personal Facebook user accounts, much of the data can also be applied to Brand Pages.
In other news….
- 3 ways to use YouTube to drive traffic to your website
- Google+ adds features to compete with Facebook
- How Timeline changes marketing on Facebook